Expect to find...

...an [e]clectic collection of comments on Japanese language, literature and culture.

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Hyouka 1




I'm curious. It's not just the catchphrase of the enigmatic Chitanda Eru but also my general evaluation of the show. Houtaru, Satoshi, and Chitanda end up members of the same classics club once a plea from Houtaru's sister to save the club forces the otherwise energy-conserving Houtaru to join up.




When he arrives he finds Chitanda. Her curiousity for the mysterious and her nigh supernatural ability to draw Houtaru into her goals is the driving force behind the early action in the series. Satoshi tags along with his clever mouth running incessantly.



But back to my point - I'm curious. With stellar art and sound, the series seems to lack nothing in terms of production quality. But it's the story and characters are what really have me intrigued. While nothing really happens in the first episode (a complaint I've read on a number of sites) it's a rather "full" nothing.



This will be, at best, a slow moving story of character development and clever dialogue. Like Bakemonogatari minus Nisiosin's wierdness. Or Haruhi minus Haruhi. Something like that. I, for one, will keep watching.


Rating: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment